Sunday, January 4, 2009

2008: He Said, She Said.... the first few months

2008 He said, She said January, February, March... stay tuned for the remainder of the year to come!!

He Said:
January – We started off the New Year on the right foot with a kiss at midnight on January 1; even though it was a short kiss. This was the month we saw our first movie together, The Bucket List. So we were already unknowingly setting in gear our first firsts together. Our first movie was The Bucket List. How appropriate for a couple like us. Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman almost personify our relationship – unexpected and one of a kind. I guess in some ways the theme song to the movie, “Say” by John Mayer, could have been our song.

She Said:
January 2008: Brinton and I rang in the New Year together, with neither of us expecting or anticipating a relationship to follow. Brinton wanted to kiss me, so I went for it. He kept returning for more kisses and I thought pecks were appropriate for two people who had only been on one date together.

Our friendship really developed over the elliptical machines at Fitness 19. We met up 2-3 times a week to work out together.

He Said:
February – Though we were just getting our “going steady” in order, I felt confident enough to buy Amber some flowers for Valentine’s Day. This was also the first time I had ever purchased flowers for a special girl in my life – so you can imagine that I was probably envisioning potential between us. Though, this Valentine’s Day didn’t exactly turn out ideal. As I picked Amber up for us to go to dinner, she mentioned she wasn’t feeling good. So we did take out at Olive Garden and went back to my apartment to eat and watch a movie and cuddle – we watched Multiplicity with Michael Keaton and Andie McDowell in case anyone was wondering. Eventually during the evening we had a discussion about our relationship; somewhat of a DTR, just not really because I think we already knew what was going on. We both expressed some frustrations about our situation, and even a few fears came out. I’m sure we both hurt each others feelings that night, but when it came down to it I just knew this was going to work out and I was more willing than I have ever been to make it work out. I may have even told her that I love her…and if I recall correctly a scream shortly followed that!

She Said:
February: In February I spent the greater part of the month debating back and forth at whether or not Brinton really liked me, even though we had already toyed with the idea of marrying one another. We spent a few evenings dancing at the Institute dance instruction nights and enjoyed waltzing with one another. Valentines started early in the morning where I delivered a package to his home with notes and tokens he could open for each half hour of his work day. We had dinner together that evening and he brought me flowers. The evening ended on kind of a rough note. Brinton was falling faster than I was and he told me it all had to stop, the notes, emails, touching and seeing each other. He wanted to spend two weeks apart. I thought his reasoning was bit irrational, but it did help me gain a clearer vision of where I was having difficulties and what was holding me back. After all we had only been dating a month, he has got to give me a break somehow.

He Said:
March – At this point Amber wanted all the benefits of a relationship without the commitment; sound familiar people. With kisses, hugs, snuggles, and even saying “Love You” at the end of each night together. Notice we said “Love You”, not “I Love You”. For some reason Amber had difficulty reconciling herself to this simple change in verbal grammatical expression. Oh well, I still told her that I love her because at this point I did. It is so interesting how you just know when it’s right. Its no big vision or angelic experience – just a simple, little feeling that is undeniable and unique above all other feelings. Even one that cannot be put into words. However, though I knew this was right and was ready to take that step forward, Amber was still having some apprehension, reservations, cold feet, whatever else you want to call it; and I grew up thinking it was suppose to be the other way around. Luckily for us we did have 3 weeks away from each other to breath and think. She went to Europe and I had an audit in Lewiston – they overlapped one week. Prior to these trips we made plans on the Ides of March (“Julius Ceasar”, William Shakespeare) to get married in June. What was funny about the discussion was that it went from talking about “if” we were to get married this would be the month, to this is the month we’re going to get married. In literally a blink of an eye we went to considering the potential of a wedding date to actually setting a wedding date. That day we decided to get married.

She Said:
March: For the last week of February and the first week of March Brinton was away on an audit in Twin Falls. We did spend time away like he wanted but not a whole two weeks prior to his leaving for the audit. While he was gone I had my 30th birthday and celebrated at my sister Alisha’s house with her family. Later that week my younger brother and sister threw a huge surprise party for me at the church (over 70 people in attendance, I was beyond shocked). Brinton arrived back in town earlier that day and that evening we went out to dinner with my mom to celebrate. What I didn’t know it was all part of the surprise plan. I met Brinton’s parents the next week. It was a wonderful visit, I then realized that I did love him and that I wanted to become a part of his family. I felt at home when we were at his parent’s house. I secretly bought a wedding dress knowing that it wouldn’t be long until I would be marrying this man. Before I left for Europe we both knew that we would be getting married in the near future but decided to keep low profile until we both returned from our travels.
At the end of the month I headed to Europe for two weeks. While I was away Brinton headed to Lewiston for his second audit of the year. I relished in Germany, Switzerland and Italy while he slaved away at work in Northern Idaho.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

This is fun. Keep it coming!

Smullin Family said...

Fun to hear the contrasts of He said, She said.

Amber, you keep giving the surprise party idea/planning credit to Tyrel and Tawnya..it was a total group effort. If left only to them, it would have gone a lot differently. I had to fight for all the cuteness, details and variety. Tyrel didn't care and Tawnya didn't want to spend the money or time. :o) Just so you know.

A*Waite said...

I stand corrected!! There is no way Tawnya and Tyrel could have pulled off the decorating and all of the food. I am not sure where I got the idea that they pulled it off on their lonesome. I think Tawnya told me it was here idea or something. Sorry to all those who worked so hard on the surprise party and didn't get the proper credit. Especially Alisha, you are the master organizer party planner. Your events always turn out awesome!! :-)

Anonymous said...

That was fun to read! Cute idea!